Friday, January 22, 2010

Three Mooses


I was skiing alone (Bette was on a wolf class) late afternoon on the Bannock Trail in the northeast corner of the Park when I come upon a cow moose and what I thought was its calf in the middle of the ski trail. It was difficult to see the second moose, which I thought was the calf because the one moose was between me and it. I could see eight legs.

This made me nervous. I had just read "The Better to Eat You With", a book on predator-prey relationships. The author had described a cow moose they nicknamed the Assassin because of its aggressive protection of its calf. I thought I should at least get a picture before turning around, and fell over as I went to get my backpack. Maybe this reassured the moose that I wasn't all that dangerous.

Then I see a big head with large antlers move into the trail. What was a bull doing there? I do not think they usually hang out together. Maybe he just wanted to use the trail too. Anyway in the picture the bull is on the left, but the spruce branch blocks a view of his antlers. Moose drop their antlers, but he still had his.


2 comments: